Angus CouncilTel: 03452 777 778

ANGUS COUNCIL

MINUTE of MEETING of the ROADS COMMITTEE held in the Town and County Hall, Forfar on Thursday 11 June 1998 at 4.30 pm.

Present: Councillors SANDY WEST, WILLIAM CROWE, FRANK ELLIS, IAN MACKINTOSH, STEWART McGLYNN, WILLIAM MIDDLETON, Mrs KATHLEEN RITCHIE, ALEX SHAND and RICHARD SPEIRS.

Apologies: Apologies for absence were intimated on behalf of Councillor GEORGE ALLAN, Provost Mrs FRANCES DUNCAN, Councillors JACK GIBB and DAVID SELFRIDGE.

Councillor WEST, Convener, in the Chair.

1. MINUTES

(a) Previous Meeting

The minute of meeting of this Committee of 30 April 1998 was approved as a correct record and signed by the Convener.

(b) Arbroath Harbour Joint Consultative Committee

The minute of meeting of the Arbroath Harbour Joint Consultative Committee held on 22 May 1998 was submitted and noted.

2. RNLB "INCHCAPE": RETENTION AT ARBROATH HARBOUR

With reference to Article 3 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 27 November 1997, there was submitted Report No 649/98 referring to the representation made by the Director of Roads to the RNLI advocating the retention of the current lifeboat at Arbroath and confirming the decision of the RNLI to retain the RNLB "Inchcape" at Arbroath.

The Committee agreed to welcome the decision by the RNLI to retain the RNLB "Inchcape" at Arbroath Harbour as notified in the letter appended to Report No 649/98.

3. ROADS DEPARTMENT SERVICE PLAN 1998/99

With reference to Article 3 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 28 August 1997, there was submitted Report No 670/98 by the Director of Roads, together with the Roads Department Service Plan for 1998/99, which outlined the key roads issues to be addressed and clearly identified where the Department’s key objectives linked into Angus Council’s Mission Statement and Key Themes.

The Committee agreed:-

(i) to approve the Roads Department’s Service Plan for the 1998/99 financial year;

(ii) to note that the Service Plan for the 1999/2000 financial year would be submitted to this Committee in May/June 1999;

(iii) to note the important part the Service Plan continued to play in demonstrating compliance with the Best Value Process; and

(iv) to note the progress made towards achieving the objectives stated in the Development/Business Plan for 1997/98 as detailed in Appendix A to Report No 670/98.

4. BEST VALUE - SERVICE REVIEW PROGRAMME

With reference to Article 7 of the minute of meeting of the Policy & Resources Committee of 12 May 1998, there was submitted Report No 666/98 presenting the proposed programme of Service Reviews encompassing all Roads Department activities which had been incorporated in the Council’s Implementation Plan which was to be submitted to the Scottish Office as part of the Best Value process.

The Committee agreed to note the contents of the Report.

5. 1998-99 VILLAGE GATEWAY PROGRAMME

With reference to Article 4(f) of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 5 June 1997, there was submitted Report No 648/98 by the Director of Roads discussing the provision of village gateways, recommending a Programme for 1998/99 and setting out the financial implications.

Having heard local members in support of the initiative, the Committee agreed:-

(i) to approve the Programme of Works listed in Appendix 1 to Report No 648/98;

(ii) to note that these schemes would be carried out in the financial year 1998/99; and

(iii) to instruct the Director of Roads to submit a further Report on the cost of signage associated with the Programme.

6. NORTH SEA CYCLE ROUTE

With reference to Article 5 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 25 April 1996, there was submitted Report No 658/98 by the Director of Roads outlining a proposal for a cycle route round the North Sea and passing through the countries which bordered the North Sea, including Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, England and Scotland. The Report concluded that, at little cost, Angus could be part of the proposal which had the potential to provide considerable benefits to the Angus area.

Having heard Councillors Crowe and McGlynn, the Committee agreed:-

(i) to recommend that Angus Council should support the proposal for a North Sea cycle route;

(ii) to authorise the Convener to urge Montrose Port Authority to pursue the provision of a North Sea ferry from Montrose; and

(iii) to instruct the Director of Roads to continue consultation with cycling groups regarding the provision of a new cycle track along the coastal side of the A92.

7. A 92 PROJECT

(a) Possibility of Extending Scope of PFI - Updated Position

With reference to Article 3(f) of the minute of meeting of Angus Council of 18 December 1997, there was submitted Joint Report No 661/98 by the Director of Roads and the Director of Finance referring to the potential opportunity to consider extending the scope of the A92 Project to include the operational maintenance of an additional length of the A92 between Westway, Arbroath and the border of Aberdeenshire, including the replacement of the bridge over the South Esk at Montrose. The Report concluded that in order to meet the Scottish Office deadlines for consideration of the PFI Project, a further Outline Business Case required to be submitted for the proposal.

The Committee agreed:-

(i) to note the current position in respect of the development of the possible extension of the scope of the A92 Project; and

(ii) to instruct the Director of Roads, in conjunction with the Director of Finance, to submit a further Outline Business Case to the Scottish Office by 30 June 1998 in support of the inclusion of the Montrose Bridge replacement (A92) within the A92 (PFI) Project.

(b) Final Proposed Alignment - Notice of Intention to Develop

With reference to Article 9 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 30 April 1998, there was submitted Report No 664/98 by the Director of Roads (a) proposing a final alignment on the upgraded A92 and associated links to the A930, (b) detailing the various studies and consultations feeding into the process of designing the proposed alignment, and (c) seeking approval to take the project into the formal planning process based on the proposed alignment detailed in the Report.

The Committee agreed:-

(i) to note the results of the various studies commissioned to inform the process of designing the alignment;

(ii) to note the outcome of the series of public information meetings recently held at venues along the route length;

(iii) to promote the alignment for the proposed upgraded A92 and associated links to the A930 including the provision of a Barry Bypass (A930) all as shown on the plans and drawings appended to Report No 664/98;

(iv) to instruct the Director of Roads to take the project into the formal planning process based on the alignments proposed at the earliest opportunity; and

(v) to remit Report No 664/98 to Dundee City Council for its consideration and action with respect to the required planning procedures for that section of the A92 lying within the Dundee City Council area.

8. MONTROSE

(a) Montrose Inner Relief Road - Montrose Society Award

There was submitted Report No 650/98 by the Director of Roads advising of the recent award by the Montrose Society, to the Council and Balfour Beatty in respect of the Montrose Inner Relief Road. The award was within the townscape category.

The Committee agreed to note, for its interest, the recent Montrose Society award.

(b) Montrose Bay Shoreline Management Study - Final Report by Consultant

With reference to Article 12 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 27 November 1997, there was submitted Report No 660/98 by the Director of Roads summarising the conclusions of the consultants with respect to coastal processes in Montrose Bay and recommending proposals for dealing with problems at the Golf Course frontage and the Glaxo Welcome frontage.

The Committee agreed:-

(i) to note the final version of the Montrose Bay Shoreline Management Study prepared by Messrs Halcrow;

(ii) to note the summary of the alternative options identified in the study and advantages/disadvantages in terms of effecting engineering/environmental/ economic solutions to the existing situation, noting in particular the opposition stated by Scottish Natural Heritage to any proposals involving the importation of rock armour or other intrusive artificial construction;

(iii) to approve, in principle, the favoured option (as concluded in the consultant’s Report) being that of rearranging the layout of the golf course as outlined in Part (v) of Report No 660/98; and

(iv) to remit to the Director of Roads and the Director of Recreation Services in conjunction with the Director of Finance to investigate possible sources of funding for the proposed options.

(c) Montrose Town Centre Streetscape Designs - Update

With reference to Article 11 of the minute of meeting of the Planning and Transport Policy Committee held earlier this day, there was submitted Joint Report No 632/98 by the Director of Planning and Transport and the Director of Roads giving an update on the streetscape designs for Montrose town centre and outlining the proposed timescale for implementation.

The Committee agreed, for its interest, to approve the recommendations in the Report.

9. ARBROATH

(a) High Street - Phase 1 - Streetscape Designs

With reference to Article 6 of the minute of meeting of the Planning and Transport Committee held earlier this day, there was submitted Joint Report No 627/98 by the Director of Planning and Transport and the Director of Roads advising of the outcome of the public consultations undertaken in respect of the streetscape designs for Arbroath High Street, detailing the financial implications to Angus Council of proceeding with a first phase of the works, and setting out the proposed programme of implementation.

The Committee agreed, for its interest, to approve the recommendations in the Report.

(b) A92 Burnside Drive, Arbroath - Junction Strategy

With reference to Article 12 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 29 January 1998, there was submitted Report No 663/98 by the Director of Roads setting out the current position with regard to the junctions on Burnside Drive, Arbroath and considering a proposal to appoint a consultant to review the overall traffic situation on that section of the A92.

The Committee agreed to authorise the Director of Roads to appoint SIAS, Edinburgh, to advise on the overall traffic control strategy for Burnside Drive, Arbroath.

(c) A933 Cairnie Road/Keptie Road Junction - Arbroath

There was submitted Report No 671/98 by the Director of Roads setting out the current position with regard to the A933 Cairnie Road/Keptie Road junction, Arbroath and recommending a junction improvement in order to reduce delays for Keptie Road traffic entering Cairnie Road.

Following discussion, the Committee agreed:-

(i) to approve the provision of the improved junction layout of the A933 Cairnie Road/Keptie Road junction, Arbroath as detailed in Appendix 1 to Report No 671/98; and

(ii) to note that a further report would be submitted to this Committee in due course.

10. THE DITCHES, CARNOUSTIE - PUBLIC CONSULTATION

With reference to Article 5 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 29 January 1998, there was submitted Report No 668/98 by the Director of Roads proposing that a public consultation exercise be arranged to assist in trying to ensure that the scheme prepared for the upgrading of the footpath network and provision of new street lighting at The Ditches, Carnoustie would satisfy, as far as possible, the requirements of the local community and affected frontagers.

The Committee agreed that the Director of Roads should carry out a public consultation exercise to take into account the views of the local community and affected frontagers in the design of the agreed improvements to the footpath network and street lighting provision at The Ditches, Carnoustie as outlined in Report No 668/98.

11. WORKING GROUP ON THE MAINTENANCE OF "UNADOPTED" PAVED AREAS AND ASSOCIATED ISSUES

There was submitted Report No 665/98 by the Director of Roads outlining the objectives of the Working Group set up to consider the future responsibilities for the maintenance of presently unadopted paved areas and the sourcing of budgets to carry out such maintenance.

The Committee agreed to note the formation of a Working Group, chaired by the Director of Roads, to consider the future maintenance of paved areas which were the Council’s responsibility but which were not included in the Statutory List of Public Roads.

12. CAR PARKING STANDARDS FOR HOUSING ASSOCIATION DEVELOPMENTS

There was submitted Report No 657/98 by the Director of Roads on parking standards relating to developments by Housing Associations. The Report concluded that the present "standard" for Housing Association developments should be continued to be used as a basis for parking provision for such developments while taking into account other material considerations relating to individual development sites.

Having noted that the terms of the Report would also be considered by the Development Control Committee on 18 June 1998, the Committee agreed that the current Housing Association parking standards as detailed in Report No 657/98 continue to be used as a basis for agreeing off-street car parking provision for such developments.

13. SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL

With reference to Article 10(a) of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 28 November 1996, there was submitted Report No 653/98 by the Director of Roads on progress made on the Safe Routes to School initiative.

The Committee agreed that the Director of Roads should continue with the Safe Routes to School initiative within the limits of the allocated budget of £75,000 during the 1998/99 financial year.

14. ASSESSMENT OF PEDESTRIAN CROSSINGS

With reference to Article 6(a) of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 29 January 1996, there was submitted Report No 651/98 by the Director of Roads presenting the results of an assessment of the outstanding requests for pedestrian crossing facilities in Angus and providing an update on the situation with regard to other crossings.

Having heard local members welcome crossings in their areas, the Committee agreed:-

(i) to provide pedestrian crossings at Reform Street, Kirriemuir and Academy Street, Forfar;

(ii) to renew the pedestrian crossing at the shopping centre at High Street, Monifieth; and

(iii) to abandon the proposal to provide a pedestrian crossing on Dundee Road, Forfar and consider the possibility of other lower cost measures.

15. FORFAR - LETHAM ROAD - HILLEND AND DUNNICHEN JUNCTIONS

There was submitted Report No 654/98 by the Director of Roads considering a proposal to acquire land now, at no cost to the Council, at Hillend and at Dunnichen to allow future junction improvements to be carried out at a later date. The junction improvement at Hillend would have greater priority and detailed schemes would be brought back to this Committee in due course.

The Committee agreed to authorise the Director of Property and the Director of Law and Administration to enter into negotiations to acquire land at Hillend and Dunnichen on the Forfar to Letham Road to allow future junction improvements.

16. ROAD SURFACE RETEXTURING - HYDROTEXTURE TRIAL

There was submitted Report No 672/98 by the Director of Roads seeking exemption, under the Council’s Financial Regulations, from normal tendering arrangements to allow a trial of a new method of road surface retexturing to be carried out by the only contractor currently providing this service.

The Committee agreed to authorise the Director of Roads to place a contract with Jaques Plant Hire for retexturing a section of the B961 Drumsturdy Road in accordance with Financial Regulation 14.1.3(f).

17. STEAM-ENGINED ROAD ROLLER BOILER REFURBISHMENT

There was submitted Report No 669/98 by the Director of Roads advising that, at local government reorganisation in 1996, Angus Council had inherited from Tayside Regional Council the ownership of a 1928 Fowler 12T steam-engined road roller which had once been owned by Angus County Council and used for road construction and maintenance work.

Since 1988, the machine had been maintained by Mr Arthur Joss, a steam enthusiast and retired employee of Tayside Regional Council, largely by his own efforts and at his own expense. He had prepared the machine for show and displayed and operated it at various locations throughout Angus. A recent survey for insurance purposes had indicated that the machine would require some refurbishment, although it was basically sound, having been maintained in very good condition by Mr Joss.

The Report concluded that, for a relatively small outlay, a unique piece of Angus engineering heritage could be preserved in working order and could continue to provide an attraction at local shows and events.

The Committee agreed:-

(i) to authorise the expenditure necessary in the current financial year to repair and maintain in working order the Council’s vintage steam-engined road roller; and

(ii) to consider making provision in the Miscellaneous Other Services budget for 1999/2000 and future years for the ongoing maintenance and operation of this machine.

18. TRAFFIC ORDERS

(a) Procedure

With reference to Article 2 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 28 February 1996, there was submitted Report No 652/98 by the Director of Roads summarising in an appendix to the Report, the current procedure and timescale involved in implementing a traffic regulation order and proposing changes to the procedures for processing such orders in order to reduce the overall time required.

The Committee agreed:-

(i) to modify the current procedure for processing permanent traffic regulation orders at the consultation stage in order to reduce the timescale; and

(ii) to recommend that, at the first opportunity, the Council’s "Scheme of Delegation to Officers" (Section 17(9)(a)) be amended to reflect the revised procedure.

(b) Variation of Waiting Restrictions

There was submitted Report No 655/98 by the Director of Roads recommending, in the interest of pedestrian and traffic safety and free traffic flow, alterations to current waiting restrictions at various locations throughout Angus. Accordingly, the Report recommended the variation of existing Traffic Regulation Orders to implement these alterations.

The Committee agreed to the promotion of the necessary Traffic Regulation Variation Orders, to effect changes to current waiting restrictions in Brechin, Carnoustie, Forfar, Kirriemuir and Montrose as outlined in Report No 655/98.

(c) Temporary Traffic Orders

There was submitted and noted Report No 563/98 by the Director of Law and Administration advising that, at the request of the Director of Roads, the undernoted Temporary Traffic Orders had been made:-

(i) Angus Council (Victoria Street, Monifieth) (Temporary Prohibition of Driving) Order 1998 - for ten weeks for the purpose of road reconstruction;

(ii) Angus Council (East Seaton Road, Arbroath) (Temporary Prohibition of Driving) Order 1998 - for four weeks for the purpose of bridge repair works;

(iii) Angus Council (Dunnichen - Boal Road, Letham) (Temporary Prohibition of Driving) Order 1998 - for four weeks for the purpose of carriageway patching and drainage works; and

(iv) Angus Council (Service Road Forfar) (Temporary Prohibition of Driving) Order 1998 - for seven weeks for the purpose of carriageway widening and drainage works.

(d) Angus Council (Orchard Street, Arbroath) (Stopping-Up) Order 1998

There was submitted Report No 678/98 by the Director of Law and Administration advising that the planning permission granted in respect of the redevelopment of the vacant site at Burnside Road/Guthrie Port, Arbroath by Safeway Stores plc as a supermarket site, required, for its implementation, the stopping-up of two lengths of road and relative footways at Orchard Street, Arbroath. Accordingly, in terms of Sections 207 and 208 of the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997, a Stopping-Up of Roads and Relative Footways Order at Orchard Street, Arbroath had been made. The Order had been duly advertised in terms of the appropriate Regulations and no objections had been received. The Report therefore recommended that the Council should proceed to confirm the Order.

The Committee agreed to recommend that the Council now confirm the Order authorising the stopping-up of two lengths of road and relative footways at Orchard Street, Arbroath.

(e) Angus Council (Montrose and Ferryden Traffic Management) (Variation) Order 1998

With reference to Article 14(d) of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 30 April 1998, there was submitted Report No 674/98 by the Director of Law and Administration providing an update on the position with regard to proposals designed to reduce traffic in Panter Crescent, Montrose. The Report advised that the period for receipt of objections expired on 9 June 1998. A large number of responses had been received. The Council’s normal procedure on receiving a large volume of comments was to analyse them and attempt to resolve problems.

The Convener confirmed that, of the 146 responses which had been received, 66 responses were for the proposal and 80 against. He therefore proposed that, given the number of responses received, and the need for time for analysis, a further Report be submitted to the first meeting of this Committee following the recess.

Having heard Councillor Mrs Ritchie, the Committee agreed to note the current position and that a further Report be submitted to the next meeting of this Committee.

(f) Angus Council (Off-Street Car Parks) Order 1998

With reference to Article 14(e) of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 30 April 1998, there was submitted Report No 673/98 by the Director of Roads advising that the Angus Council (Off-Street Car Parks) Order 1998, had been advertised and that objections were due to be received by 22 June 1998. It was not anticipated that there would be a large number of comments. Accordingly, the Report recommended that, in order that the new signing could be erected as quickly as possible over the summer period, any objections to the Order be considered by the Council at its meeting on 2 July 1998.

The Committee agreed that any objections to the Angus Council (Off-Street Car Parks) Order 1998 be considered by Angus Council at its meeting on 2 July 1998 and if so resolved the Order be made on that date.

19. PROPOSED STANDING LISTS OF CONSULTANTS

There was submitted Report No 662/98 by the Director of Roads advising that he was in the process of drawing up standing lists for four categories of work, namely river and marine projects, structural engineering services, highway engineering, and traffic engineering, to assist him in the flexible use of consultants and when required.

The Committee agreed:-

(i) to note that the Standing Lists for Consultants were being drawn up and would be reported to the next meeting of this Committee; and

(ii) to approve the use of the appropriate prospective lists to bring forward to the Executive Sub-Committee during the summer recess, select lists of consultants to carry out (a) the design work for a flood prevention scheme at River Street, Brechin, and (b) Town Centre Traffic Studies in Forfar and Monifieth.

20. EXCLUSION OF PUBLIC AND PRESS

The Committee resolved, in terms of Standing Order No 27(2) that the public and press be excluded during consideration of the following items so as to avoid the disclosure of information which was exempt in terms of Part 1 of Schedule 7A to the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, paragraphs 6, 8, 9 and 10.

21. A92 INVERKEILOR RAILWAY BRIDGE

With reference to Article 4 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 29 January 1998, there was submitted Report No 659/98 by the Director of Roads recommending approval of a list of contractors to be invited to tender for an overheight vehicle detection system on the A92 at Inverkeilor Railway Bridge.

The Committee agreed to approve the issue of tender documents to Coeval Products Limited, Dee-Organ Limited and Lochwynd Limited.

22. COMPLETION OF NEW PRIVATE DEVELOPMENT ROADS - HOUSING DEVELOPMENT AT FINAVON VILLAGE - FPC (DEVELOPMENTS) LTD PER THE BANK OF SCOTLAND

There was submitted Report No 656/98 by the Director of Roads recommending that he call up the security held to allow the completion of new roads at Finavon Village for which Construction Consent had been granted in terms of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984, the conditions of which the original developer had failed to fulfil, in the event that the new developer failed to meet certain minimum conditions within a reasonable timescale.

The Committee agreed to authorise the Director of Roads to complete the roadworks and apply the security to meet the costs, in the event that the proposed new developer had not complied with the Conditions of Transfer of Construction Consent by 31 July 1998.

23. WINTER MAINTENANCE - SERVICE PROVISION FOR 1998/99

There was submitted Report No 667/98 by the Director of Roads seeking endorsement of a continuation for the coming winter of the general level of service provided during the winter of 1997/98 and detailing proposed operational improvements requiring immediate approval to allow the preparations for the 1998/99 winter maintenance period to be carried out timeously.

The Committee agreed:-

(i) to approve the level of service for winter maintenance in 1998/99 which, in general terms, should be in line with the level of service provided over the winter of 1997/98;

(ii) to provide vehicles and plant for the coming winter as outlined in the list shown in Appendix 1 to Report No 667/98;

(iii) to top up the salt stock holding to a total of 12,000 tonnes; and

(iv) to order 6mm marine salt in preference to alternative specifications at marginal extra initial cost on the grounds of improved operational efficiency.