Angus CouncilTel: 03452 777 778

ANGUS COUNCIL

MINUTE of MEETING of the ROADS COMMITTEE held in the Town and County Hall, Forfar on Thursday 29 January 1998 at 4.55 pm.

Present: Councillors SANDY WEST, GEORGE ALLAN, Provost Mrs FRANCES E DUNCAN, Councillors FRANK ELLIS, IAN MACKINTOSH, STEWART McGLYNN, WILLIAM MIDDLETON, Mrs KATHLEEN RITCHIE, DAVID SELFRIDGE and ALEX SHAND.

Apologies: Apologies for absence were intimated on behalf of Councillors WILLIAM CROWE, JACK GIBB and RICHARD SPEIRS.

Councillor WEST, Convener, in the Chair.

 

1. MINUTE OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The minute of meeting of this Committee of 27 November 1997 was approved as a correct record and signed by the Convener.

2. PROCUREMENT OF ICE PREDICTION SYSTEM - PROGRESS REPORT - PIARC CONFERENCE

With reference to Article 9 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 16 October 1997, there was submitted Report No 119/98 by the Director of Roads (a) outlining progress to date on the procurement of the new Ice Prediction System, (b) detailing future procurement arrangements, (c) advising of salt management and control resulting from the installation of the system, including the installation and operation at Forfar and Arbroath of two new weighbridges, (d) seeking approval for representatives from Angus to attend an international Winter Road Congress, and (e) setting out the financial implications of the various matters in the Report.

The Committee agreed:-

(i) to note the current progress on the procurement of the new Ice Prediction System;

(ii) to note that approval for the purchase and installation of two weighbridges had been granted under the Spend to Save Scheme;

(iii) to note the requirement for provision to be made in the Financial Plan for 1998/99 to allow for the carry over of expenditure originally programmed for the current financial year; and

(iv) to approve representation and participation in the Xth International Winter Road Congress in Lulea, Sweden, from 16-19 March 1998 by the Convener of the Roads Committee and the Director of Roads (or their nominated substitutes).

3. OBSTRUCTIONS ON PUBLIC ROADS - ADVERTISING SIGNS ETC

With reference to Article 7 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 17 October 1997, there was submitted Report No 117/98 by the Director of Roads discussing the difficulties created by advertising signs and other obstructions placed on public roads and recommending that a consultation exercise be carried out as part of a review of the interim policy adopted by the Council in 1996 on obstructions on public roads.

Following discussion of the possible hazards to pedestrians and, in particular, the visually impaired, created by obstructions on footways including parked vehicles, the Committee agreed:-

(i) to note the contents of Report No 117/98;

(ii) to ask the Director of Law and Administration to advise on options relating to the prevention of parking on footways;

(ii) to authorise the Director of Roads to carry out a consultation exercise on obstructions on public roads involving pedestrian groups, the commercial sector, and other interested parties, with a view to developing a practical and robust policy which could be implemented and enforced by Angus Council in the long term; and

(iv) to note that the Director of Roads would report on the consultation exercise in due course.

4. ROAD SAFETY - A92 NORTH OF ARBROATH AND B CLASS ROADS

With reference to Article 9 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 27 November 1997, there was submitted Report No 124/98 by the Director of Roads providing an update on the road safety improvements proposed on the A92 north of Arbroath and discussing the provision of centre road lining and cats eyes on B class roads in Angus as part of the overall road safety strategy adopted by the Council. The Report recommended that, for the reasons outlined, the financial allocations contained in the capital estimates for 1997/98 for the provision of an overheight vehicle detection system at Inverkeilor railway bridge, be re-allocated to the provision of cats eyes on the B class roads.

Questions having been asked by Councillor Shand and answered by the Director of Roads on the reasons for the delay in the Inverkeilor project, the Committee agreed:-

(i) to instruct the Director of Roads to continue negotiations with Railtrack with regard to the Inverkeilor project;

(ii) to note that the provision of the overheight vehicle detection system on the A92 at Inverkeilor Railway Bridge would now be provided in financial year 1998/99 as outlined in Report No 124/98;

(iii) to approve provision of centre line cats eyes on the B class roads listed in Appendix A to Report No 124/98;

(iv) that all B class roads in Angus be provided with centre line road markings as part of the Council’s overall road safety strategy; and

(v) to instruct the Director of Roads to submit a further Report on the financial implications associated with completion of the centre line road markings on all B class roads in 1998/99.

5. FOOTWAYS, LIGHTING AND ROAD RECONSTRUCTION PROJECTS - UTILISATION OF ROADS RENEWAL AND REPAIR FUND

With reference to Article 6 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 5 June 1997, there was submitted Joint Report No 123/98 by the Director of Roads and the Director of Finance advising that various footways, lighting and road reconstruction projects had previously been deferred due to budgetary constraints. However, for the reasons outlined in the Report, a number of these projects were now considered essential and it was recommended, in the interest of public safety, that the Roads Renewal and Repair Fund be utilised for the provision of the works listed in the Appendices to the Report.

The Committee agreed:-

(i) to approve the provision of the footway and lighting projects listed in Appendix A to Report No 123/98;

(ii) to authorise the Director of Law and Administration to seek a financial contribution from the local developer towards the cost of upgrading "the Ditches" at Carnoustie;

(iii) to approve the carriageway reconstruction projects listed in Appendix B to the Report;

(iv) to note that the estimated total cost of £885K could be met by utilising the Roads Renewal and Repair Fund;

(v) to delegate authority to the Directors of Roads and Finance to manage overall expenditure within the existing capital programme and Roads Renewal and Repair Fund elements of the new provision;

(vi) to approve the retention of at least £250,000 in the Roads Renewal and Repair Fund as a contingency sum; and

(vii) to note that the possibility of contributing further resources to the Roads Renewal and Repair Fund would be considered during the current financial year and the 1998/99 budget exercise.

6. PEDESTRIAN CROSSINGS

(a) Assessment of Pedestrian Crossings

With reference to Article 6 of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 24 April 1997, there was submitted Report No 113/98 by the Director of Roads advising that a recent assessment of outstanding requests for pedestrian facilities in Angus had found that three sites previously identified for pedestrian crossings at Gravesend and Hill Place, Arbroath and Barry Road, Carnoustie were unsuitable. The Report indicated that a further two sites had been investigated and had been evaluated as being suitable for the installation of Puffin crossings.

Having heard the local member with regard to the pedestrian crossing site at Gravesend, Arbroath, the Committee agreed:-

(i) that the proposed pedestrian crossing at Gravesend, Arbroath be removed from the list of sites but that the situation be monitored;

(ii) to approve the provision of Puffin crossings at Swan Street, Brechin and Keptie Road, Arbroath; and

(iii) to approve the provision of low cost measures to assist pedestrians at Barry Road, Carnoustie and at Hill Place, Arbroath.

(b) Purchase of Pedestrian Crossing Equipment

There was submitted Report No 122/98 by the Director of Roads seeking approval for the purchase of puffin and toucan crossing equipment as stock in the current financial year for the continuing programme of provision of pedestrian crossing facilities in the financial year 1998/99.

The Committee agreed:-

(i) to the purchase of two sets of puffin crossing equipment and one set of toucan crossing equipment at an estimated cost of £20,000; and

(ii) to request a further Report on the sites at which it was proposed the equipment would be installed.

7. TRAFFIC ORDERS

(a) Update

With reference to Article 5(a) of the minute of meeting of this Committee of 6 October 1997, there was submitted and noted Report No 118/98 by the Director of Roads providing, in an Appendix to the Report, an update of Traffic Regulation Orders currently being processed and their stage of progress at 1 January 1998.

(b) Variation of Waiting Restrictions

There was submitted Report No 116/98 by the Director of Roads recommending, in the interest of pedestrian and traffic safety, amendments to current waiting restrictions at various locations in Angus as detailed in the plans attached to the Report.

The Committee agreed to approve the promotion of a Traffic Regulation Variation Order to effect changes to current waiting restrictions in Carnoustie, Kirriemuir and Montrose, as detailed in Report No 116/98.

(c) India Street/Bents Road, Montrose - One-Way Traffic

There was submitted Report No 114/98 by the Director of Roads recommending, in the interest of pedestrian and traffic safety, the introduction of a one-way traffic flow in India Street and Bents Road, Montrose as detailed in the plan attached to the Report.

The Committee agreed to approve the promotion of a Traffic Regulation Order to make traffic flow in sections of India Street and Bents Road, Montrose one-way as detailed in Report No 114/98.

(d) St Andrew’s Street, Brechin - Prohibition of Entry

There was submitted Report No 115/98 by the Director of Roads recommending, in the interests of pedestrian and traffic safety, the prohibition of vehicles from entering St Andrews Street northwards from its junction with Maisondieu Lane.

The Committee agreed to approve the promotion of a Traffic Regulation Order to prohibit vehicles entering St Andrew’s Street northwards from its junction with Maisondieu Lane, Brechin as set out in Report No 115/98.

(e) Temporary Traffic Orders

There was submitted and noted Report No 37/98 by the Director of Law and Administration advising that, at the request of the Director of Roads, the undernoted Temporary Traffic Orders had been made:-

(i) Angus Council (High Street and Murray Street, Montrose) (Temporary Prohibition of Driving) Order 1997 - for five hours in conjunction with a Christmas Extravaganza;

(ii) Angus Council (High Street, Brechin) (Temporary Prohibition of Driving) Order 1997 - for four hours in conjunction with a Christmas Extravaganza;

(iii) Angus Council (Spott Farm Bridge, Glenprosen) (Temporary Prohibition of Driving) Order 1998 - for eight weeks for the purpose of bridge repairs;

(iv) Angus Council (Grange Bridge, Inverkeilor) (Temporary Prohibition of Driving) Order 1998 - for six weeks for the purpose of bridge repairs;

(v) Angus Council (West Hillbank and Douglas Street, Kirriemuir) (Temporary Prohibition of Driving) Order 1998 - for ten weeks for the purpose of the replacement of a water main.

8. PROPOSED ACQUISITION OF LAND AT PROVOST REID’S ROAD, MONTROSE

With reference to Article 21 of the minute of meeting of the Recreation and Cultural Services Committee of 22 January 1998, there was submitted Joint Report No 74/98 by the Director of Property Services, the Director of Roads and the Director of Recreation Services recommending the acquisition of an area of land measuring 0.961 hectares or thereby at Provost Reid’s Road, Montrose from Rail Property Ltd for open space, recreational use and the provision of a pedestrian/cycle path as outlined in the plan attached to Report No 74/98.

Having noted that the terms of this Report had been approved by the General Purposes Sub-Committee of the Policy and Resources Committee and would also be considered by the Personnel and Property Services Committee, the Committee agreed to approve the terms of the Report for its interest.

9. EXCLUSION OF PUBLIC AND PRESS

The Committee resolved, in terms of Standing Order No 27(2), that the public and press be excluded during consideration of the following items so as to avoid the disclosure of information which was exempt in terms of Part 1 of Schedule 7A to the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, Paragraphs 6, 8, 9 and 10.

10. TEMPORARY BRIDGE AT DUNLAPPIE

There was submitted Report No 121/98 by the Director of Roads proposing the construction of a temporary bridge at Dunlappie to provide a suitable diversion during the replacement of the existing bridge which had a low carrying capacity and was subject to a weight limit. The construction of the temporary bridge would obviate the need for road closure and thus maintain the current level of service of the road network. The Report recommended that, for the reasons outlined, Tayside Contracts should be appointed to carry out the works.

The Committee agreed:-

(i) to approve the proposal to construct a temporary bridge; and

(ii) to approve the award of the contract to Tayside Contracts in accordance with Section 14.3 of Financial Regulations, due to the specialist nature of the works.

11. A92 DUNDEE/ARBROATH PROPOSED UPGRADING - TRAFFIC AND ECONOMIC ASSESSMENT

There was submitted Report No 120/98 by the Director of Roads detailing the award of a contract for a Traffic and Economic Assessment associated with the proposed upgrading of the A92 Dundee/Arbroath and seeking homologation of the decision of the Director of Roads, in consultation with the Convener, to approve the award of the contract.

The Committee agreed to homologate the decision of the Director of Roads, in consultation with the Convener, to accept the quotation for the Traffic and Economic Assessment of the proposed upgrading of the A92 between Dundee and Arbroath submitted by Oscar Faber in the amount of £8,250.

12. ARBROATH HIGH STREET - STREETSCAPE CONCEPT DESIGNS

With reference to Article 2 of the minute of meeting of the Planning and Transport Policy Committee held earlier this day, there was submitted Joint Report No 128/98 by the Director of Planning, Transport and Economic Development and the Director of Roads on proposals to develop streetscape concept designs for Arbroath High Street.

The Committee agreed, for its interest, to approve, in principle, the streetscape concept designs for Arbroath High Street detailed in Report 128/98, subject to further discussion with local members prior to public consultation on them.